How do I prepare for the Spray Tan?
- Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate - client should exfoliate their skin 2/3 days leading up to having the spray tan done.
- Shaving/waxing/hair removal should be done the day before self tan/spray tan application. This allows time for the pores to close;
- There are various exfoliating methods but the one that works best are exfoliating sponge, and The Tan Lab Micro- Exfoliant. Use oil free exfoliator if The Tan Lab Micro Exfoliant is not being used;
- Sunless tanning products react with the surface of the skin – if these dead skin cells are NOT removed, the end result will appear patchy and will not fade off evenly;
- No creams/make-up/deodorant must be applied to skin before a Self-Tan application;
- Remember that a well-prepared skin will ensure a longer lasting tan !
How do I ensure that my tan is prolonged?
- Keep your skin well moisturized;
- Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise! After you have had your Sunless Tanning treatment, keep your skin well moisturized, as it will make your tan last longer (tan comes off with dead skin cells);
- Avoid using moisturisers containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids, as this will cause the skin to exfoliate resulting in the tan fading;
- The natural skin exfoliation period may differ slightly with each individual, as this occurs, the tan will fade naturally;
- Purchase the Hydration Lotion to ensure your skin is well hydrated.
How do I maintain the Spray Tan
- Hydrating the skin prolongs the skin life cycle and hence the life of a sunless tan;
- Moisturise at least once a day with the Tan Lab Hydration Lotion;
- Alcohol-based products are drying to the skin and can cause the tan to fade quicker and less evenly;
- The texture of a washcloth can act as an exfoliant, so when showering, avoid scrubbing;
- Soaking in a bath or long periods in a pool can accelerate exfoliating and fade a tan. It is best to avoid both whenever possible. When swimming use a waterproof sunscreen to help seal the tan into the skin and slow down fading. Chlorine will cause your tan to fade;
- Shaving your legs removes some outer skin cells and so is a form of exfoliation. Limiting the frequency of shaving will tend to extend the life of your tan. Shaving also tends to dry out the skin, so give them extra attention in your moisturizing routine with the Tan Lab Hydration Lotion;
- Consider using The Tan Lab Gradual sunless tan extender;
- Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid found in acne and some facial products have a peeling action that can interfere with a sunless tan.
How soon as I can another spray tan after my previous tan?
As soon as the tan starts to fade which will probably be within 2 - 3 weeks, ensure that you have exfoliated your body thoroughly before getting another Spray Tan.
Can I have a spray tan when I am pregnant.
It is advisable not to have a spray tan in the first trimester of your pregnancy.